The closest international airport to Waterloo is Toronto Pearson International (YYZ). Waterloo also has a regional airport, Waterloo International (YKF). The Waterloo airport does have limited flights but is a very convenient option. A third airport option is John C. Munro Hamilton International (YHM).
To reach Waterloo, participants can rent a car, use a shuttle, taxi, or limo service. The typical travel time from the Region of Waterloo airport to the University of Waterloo is approximately 30 minutes in light traffic. The typical travel time from the Toronto Pearson airport or the John C. Munro Hamilton airport is approximately 1 hour in light traffic.
Shuttle services such as Airways Transit provide services including door-to-door airport service to Kitchener-Waterloo. A one-way trip from the Toronto Pearson airport is approximately $90 per passenger. A discount is applied when groups of two or more passengers book together. Advance reservation is required for all services.
Bus services such as GO Transit and Greyhound Canada offer bus and train services to cities and towns across Ontario and North America including the Region of Waterloo.
GO Transit is an inter-regional transit service in Ontario that includes bus and train service to Kitchener-Waterloo. The GO bus service reaches Waterloo with over 30 buses a day from the Toronto area to the Region of Waterloo, including bus routes that stop at the University of Waterloo main campus. The GO train service reaches Kitchener with a few trains each day at peak times. Travelers can reach the University of Waterloo from the Kitchener GO Station via a 10 minute trip by taxi or a 30 minute trip by public transit.
Greyhound Canada offers bus service to cities and towns across North America. Greyhound service reaches Kitchener’s Charles St. Terminal with over 20 buses a day from Toronto to Kitchener and many other bus routes in the region. Travelers can reach the University of Waterloo from the Charles St. Bus Terminal via a 10 minute trip by taxi or a 30 minute trip by public transit.
Grand River Transit provides local bus service throughout Waterloo, Kitchener and Cambridge. Routes 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 29, Late Night Loop, 200 iXpress and 202 iXpress reach the main campus.
From Highway 401:
- Take exit 278 (from Toronto) or exit 278B (from London) to Highway 8 WEST Kitchener/Waterloo
- Follow the signs for 85 NORTH to Waterloo/7 EAST to Guelph.
- Follow the signs to 85 NORTH. Keep left; do not exit on 7 EAST (Victoria Street and Guelph).
- Please note: The University Avenue West exit is closed for construction until mid-October 2014. To reach the University, exit at Bridgeport Avenue, which is the exit prior to University Avenue.
- Drive 1.6 km along Bridgeport Avenue to Weber St.
- Turn right onto Weber St and continue for 1 km.
- Turn left onto University Avenue and continue for 1.9 km until you reach the main entrance to the University of Waterloo.
- Turn left onto to Seagram Drive.
- Visitor parking is in Lot C. Please refer to our parking map to see where the lot is. The cost for the day is $5.
- The Visitors Centre is located in South Campus Hall (SCH) at the main entrance to campus.
- See Waterloo’s campus map for locations.
Follow the driving directions on a map.
Student Travel Stipends
Travel stipends are available for graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and junior scientists to attend the PQCrypto Summer School. Applications (PDF) are due Monday, August 5. Please email your completed application form, CV and a recommendation letter from your supervisor to email@example.com.